Wednesday, August 28, 2013

35 Meals: Meal #4-#7

This year I've been trying to cook some new meals for our family.  It is one of my goals for my 35th year.  I've done well at doing meals, just not in posting them on the blog.  I'm planning to post groups of them together in the attempt to get them all posted here.  I'm definitely not attempting to post recipes to wow you, obviously not a food blogger with beautiful photos and lovely recipes, but more of an attempt to document a goal and share the progress of it.  Life now is all about keeping it simple and easy.  I like the idea of sharing what we are really eating.  You will see that some of these meals are not recipes, but are new to us meals that I have just thrown together, or techniques I have learned in cooking something new.  So, simple as it may be, here is the progress of what we are eating around here and how I'm attempting to try some new meals this year.  My family thanks me for cooking something other then spaghetti or taco soup.  (Both meals that we love, by the way,but ones that I have cooked too often to count!) 
 
Meal #4 Egg over Grilled Potatoes and Breadsticks


Okay, this is my idea of easy and I like it.  I'm getting better at the skill (if you can even call this a skill) of throwing food together and calling it a meal.  Not casseroles or soups or anything fancy but a new meal for us.  Some grilled potatoes, an egg, and a new breadstick recipe.  I'll count it as one of my 35 meals.  Something easy and something I will be sure to repeat.


Recipe For Easy Breadsticks
Found in our Church Cookbook

1 T Yeast
1 1/2 C Warm Water
1 T Honey
1 t Salt
3-4 C Flour
1/2 C Butter Melted

Soften yeast in warm water, mix in with the honey, salt, and flour, knead together.  Let rise for 1 hour.  Cut into 4 equal pieces, then cut each piece into 4 more pieces.  Pull each piece in to sticks and place on a pan.  Pour the melted butter over the bread sticks.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan cheese.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Meal #5 Curry Corn Chowder
 
With Fall just around the corner, you have to try this soup.  So yummy!!  You can find the recipe here.  I have made it a few times this last year.  Always a success! 
 
Meal #6 The Perfect Steak
  
 
I attempted cooking steak for the first time.  This post here told me how to cook it.  It turned out awesome!!  The secret is searing it in a cast iron pan and cooking it in the oven.  Yum.  If you love your steak rare/medium rare (the best way to enjoy it), this is the perfect way to cook it.  Add some sautéed asparagus and fresh tomatoes, makes for a yummy meal!
 
Meal #7 Chicken, Fresh Mozzarella, & Mango Salsa Quesadilla

Okay, another meal I created.  You may say this is cheating, not following a recipe and making up some super simple meals, but any new to me meal counts in this adventure.  This was leftover shredded chicken, beans, and corn from taco night.  I mixed it all together and for leftovers I had it on a couple corn tortillas with sliced fresh mozzarella, mango salsa, and sour cream.  Heavy on the dairy and oh so good!  I really enjoy the fresh mozzarella!  This was so good it could easily done as a meal for the whole family.   You can follow this recipe for the chicken.  I usually omit the ranch seasoning.

Here is what I'm planning on trying in the near future.  Baked TilapiaWhite Bean Chicken Chili, and  Alice Spring Chicken.  I also have a few other meals I have done that I still need to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment