Monday, April 28, 2014

Playing With Paper | Pinwheel Tutorial

 
Before I share the tutorial for the circle mobile from my baby's room, I wanted to share a tutorial on making pinwheels.  I've seen this done in a variety of ways, but wanted to share the way that has worked best for me.  I also wanted to share the fun pinwheel wall in Isabelle's room.  Her room is coming along nicely.  I will be sharing more on that here soon.   
 
supplies | 3 6x12 sheets of paper, cardboard, glue gun, a paper scorer
 (I bought this one, it works great, and it is only $13 right now!)  

step 1 | score your paper
Score your sheets of cardstock in 1/2 inch increments.

 
step 2 | fold your scored paper

 
step 3 | glue together
Glue ends together to form a circle.

 
step 4 | flip to make pinwheel
Flip your glued circle into the pinwheel shape.  Cut the piece of the cardboard into a small square.  Glue pinwheel to the cardboard square to hold it in place.  This can be tricky.  I usually hold the pinwheel in shape, face down, and attach the square to the back and hold for 2-3 seconds.  Then I will flip it around and hold it back in its shape, pressing down on the glued section.  The hot glue gives you a little bit of time to move it into the correct shape.  Hold for 10-15 seconds. 
 
completed pinwheel

 
These were so much fun to make.  Just choose your favorite papers and sit down and fold and glue.  After a bit, you end up with a pretty pile of loveliness.


I wanted these for a wall in my daughter's room.  I tried attaching them with packing tape and they were all off the wall by the next morning.  I ended up using thumbtacks for the large pinwheels and pins for the small pinwheels and just poked them into the wall.  It worked and they are so pretty.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment