Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Book Report | May

Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card
Such a fun read!  This is the sequel to Ender's Shadow.  It plays out like strategy/suspense/thriller.   I love how the characters from the first book are developed further as the story progresses.  I'm looking forward to the rest or the series.

Searching For Pemberley by Mary Lydon Simonsen
This was a fun story.  Set in England after World War II.  The main character meets a family that are the descendants of the family that Jane Austen based Pride and Prejudice on.

The Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith
Loved this book!  A agreed so much with her decorating theories and systems.  The book is beautiful and such an enjoyable read.

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
I'm working my way through this one.  Four women, each with their own stories, set 2 thousands years ago on Masada.


It was fun to finish this one up as I was reading The Nesting Place since Myquillyn and Emily are sisters.  This book talks about creating and sharing the art that is inside of you.


Loved her 10 item wardrobe, the idea of enjoying and savoring the simple things, and all the other simple tips from Jennifer's experience in France.

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Not sure how I felt about this one.  I liked that it was told from Tobias' and Tris' perspectives and I liked how the story developed, I'm just not sure I liked the ending.

Betsy-Tacy and Tib
This is our current read aloud.  We haven't been reading as much as I would like to, we have been enjoying the sun and playing together.  I'm hoping for more reading in our near summer future.

Find March & April Book Report here.

Find January & February Book Report here.

Also, you can find my 2014 Book List here.

Joining Modern Mrs. Darcy's Twitterature and the Simple Woman's Book Club this month.


8 comments:

  1. I was lukewarm about the ending to Allegiant too. It didn't help that I read all 3 in a week I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think that I was just hoping for more. I read through the last one quickly, in just a couple days, and maybe that is why it didn't leave much of an impression. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Just got another one for my list! I'm all about figuring out a wardrobe that I love but is simple and practical. Maybe Lessons from Madame Chic will further my cause. I think I need to kick Emily Freeman's book up a notch on my list. I remember reading a sample and really liking it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shadow of the Hegemon is my favourite book of the whole Ender world. It's like watching a giant game of Risk. Shadow Puppets is pretty great too :)
    Reading books by two sisters simultaneously sounds so fun! I may have to give them both a go. Thanks for the recommends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read several of the books on your list! I have held out on Allegiant though, because few people I've talked to about it weren't really impressed with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved The Dovekeepers and agree with you about Allegiant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oof, you put me to shame! Lately I've felt like I've been slacking in the reading department...your list confirms it. Bring on all the books! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have read a lot! My kids loved the Betsy Tacy books when they were younger :) Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete