As I have tried to add some pieces to our home, I have found it difficult to decide what to add. I enjoy beautiful artwork, but it takes me a long time to find pieces that I really love. I'm not opposed to eventually spending money on a piece of art, but it has to be something I absolutely love, and thus far, I have found other areas to spend our money. I have found less expensive ways to add art to our home.
- thrifted items | I only have had success with finding one thrifted piece of art. It was a lovely sketch of the Oregon City tram. I really haven't had a lot of luck in finding artwork at the thrift store, but I know that many people have. A wonderful way to find inexpensive and unique art.
- children's art | Your children or grandchildren's art can add so much character to your home. So many have found such lovely ways to display their children's artwork.
- art prints | I have found I few pieces of art that I love and have added them to my home by purchasing the printed version and framing it myself. My favorites are a painting of the Portland Temple and a few prints from Walter Raine and Brian Kershisnik.
- printables | I have spent some money on some lovely graphic prints.
- handmade | I have dabbled a bit with making a couple pieces on my own, just for fun, and to add a bit of whimsy to our home. I would never call myself a painter, but it has been fun to let myself go and just create something.
- Originals | Add original artwork from friends and family. My grandfather painted landscapes and his home is full of his paintings. A few months after he passed away this last year, I thought about his artwork and how I would love to have one of his paintings in my home. What a story it would tell.
I didn't realize I had so much to say about art. One day I may actually spend some big money on a piece (or 2) of art, but for now my collection of gifted, thrifted, handmade, and printed art fit my style and personality. They all tell a story and are so very meaningful to me and my family.
You can find the my complete 31 day Home Decorating Series here.